Saturday, May 4, 2013

Fire and Forget: Short Stories from the Long War



Jack Breene
Fire and Forget: Short Stories from the Long War- Response
April 26, 2013
CW- Maffei

            One of the things I noticed about the three stories that were read was that there was not a lot of action in any of them. I was surprised considering how war is the epitome of action packed but the more I heard, the more I understood. In a war like the two our country has been involved in for better part of a decade, boredom is a prevalent experience amongst the soldiers.
            The first story featured a soldier in Hawaii on leave, about to go back. The second was about the flight back to America after a tour in Iraq. And the third was about two soldiers who were on guard duty in a very remote location. In all three, there wasn’t much dialogue. The majority of the stories took place in the heads of the narrators, which I thought was an appropriate way to portray the mentality of a soldier in the 21st century. 
            One thing that I didn’t like about the stories I heard, and many depictions of contemporary soldiers, is the untapped looks at heroism. In the age of economic imperialism, it seems like the glory of war has been completely stripped of its soldiers. I think this loss is a bigger one than literature and movies give it credit for considering how that used to be the largest compensation for risking your life in battle. Now soldiers fight because it’s their job, not their role in society.
            After the Q&A session following the reading, one of the authors commented on how having a volunteer army drastically changes the conception of war but I didn’t think any of the pieces  I heard reflected this change.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment