Thursday, May 9, 2013

Natural History: Dan Chiasson


Dan Chiasson’s Natural History is a fantastic book of poetry published in 2005, by Random House Inc. Dan Chiasson is an American born poet who attend Amherst university.  His first book was published in 2002. I really enjoyed how Chiasson used references to himself. This brought a smile to his readers face as well as showing that he understood flaws and things about himself.

“I “obsess” as you say, about my tone of voice.
People change. Sometimes at night, curtains drawn,
They turn infinite upon each other, just for fun.

I want fried clams, the ones with gritty fat bellies.
If I strike the apocalyptic tone you like, won’t you
Drive up Route 1 with me, right now, to find those clams? “ (Tulip Tree)

 Often I find in poetry that the author takes him or herself too seriously and this is an unattractive feature o poetry. I liked how Chiasson was able to almost laugh at himself through his poetry. This also created a sense of closeness that is hard to attain when the author looks to seriously at his own life. I was hooked by the first poem. This is a short poem entitled “Love Story (smelt)”

“When I say “you” in my poems I mean you
I know it’s weird: we barely met.
You must hear this all the time, being you” (Love song)

 I really loved this poem; at even put it on my own blog. It is so simple and beautiful. I really loved the imagery of a traditional Russian table, and having spent a great deal of time with a traditional Russian family, I felt as though I could feel and taste the meal that they had shared and I could smell the salty air mixed with alcohol on people’s breath. I greatly enjoyed this style of cultural reference. I also liked the reference to his own poetry. A poem that recognizes it is a poem can be very powerful and in this case made me think about who the “you” is in my poetry. It made me want to try and switch up who the “you” is and maybe try and pick someone I have just met, someone I do not know much about. Maybe I will try writing a poem to a stranger or someone I have just met. I was also very impressed with his love poems. This is sexist however I often associate love poems as being written by women and he shows that his does not have to be true and writes a series of “love songs” that are incredible beautiful. My favorite perhaps being “Love Song (Sycamores).

            “I said, Stop there, but you followed me
            Even when I tore our bed to pieces,
            I did that, I brought anger into the bower
            And the sycamores became menacing shoulders.” – Love song (Sycamores)

This is such a beautiful poem and really spoke to me. I though about how I can use this in my own writing and create my own love song. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved the self-referentiality of Chiasson's work as well, Amy! While (as Katie noted) this might be postmodernist of me, I think that there is no way for poetry to get away from the fact that it is poetry (meaning it is a lens, not reality)and it feels infinitely more honest for the writer to recognize that and bring it out and say, hey guys, the things I see and the things I write and what makes up this world are irrevocably tied to the form with which I choose to communicate.

    Also, I am glad someone else pulled out the food imagery of the Love Song (Smelt) before I did. This poem is really very good, and I felt it in my gut more than I feel most poetry. This may be because I am obsessive about food, but the table comes to represent ancestry and spice and strength of feeling and sharing the bodily components of another human being. At least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed the food imagery and sensations in "Love Song (Smelt)". I thought the feelings invoked were very bland. It's just the pungent smells of Russian food, the odor of Vodka. But, this blandness really justs out in the poem because there is no other imagery other than the food at the restaurant. I also loved his opening lines of "When I say 'you' in my poems, I mean you" because its possible that there is one person in the world who he is actually in conversation with through this poem. That is a personal accomplishment that feels good for the author.

    ReplyDelete