Saturday, February 9, 2013

"Fred" and Sexuality


Since “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” was published, the sexuality of our narrator/character “Fred” has been questioned by a number of critics and even just the general reading population. After doing a bit of research, I couldn’t locate any particular or concrete sources either verifying or denying Fred’s sexual preferences (besides various bloggers claiming Capote has “explicitly stated that Fred is gay” without providing any sort of sources), but the possibility left me thinking about the relationship between Fred and Holly- why hadn’t it, like many of the relationships Holly has shared with other characters, become sexual? Based on his behavior as both character and narrator, could Fred’s being gay prove plausible?

What struck me primarily about Fred as a character was that he, unlike plenty of the other characters in the story, never gave himself to Holly (or anyone else, for that matter) sexually; He never thought about it, and he never discusses dating anyone. As a matter of fact, the only time Fred ever mentions someone being very attractive is in his description of José Yabarra-Jaegar: “by the time we had I was charmed…his brown head and bullfighter’s figure had…a perfection…something nature had made just right” (45). Additionally, I found it noteworthy that the only time Holly’s flirtatious qualities are dropped is in his presence, and it is made clear to the reader that she doesn’t expect a sexual relationship from him, unlike her expectations for the other men with whom she interacts. However, none of this really dawned on me until a second reading.  The first time through, I just assumed that Fred was heterosexual (why would anyone think otherwise?) and was so concerned and interested in Holly because he was unashamedly in love with her. And for more than half of the text, I thought I was right, until Fred blatantly admits:  “For I was in love with her. Just as I’d once been in love with my mother’s elderly colored cook and a postman who let me follow him on his rounds and a whole family named McKendrick. That category of love generates jealousy, too” (72). At that point, I began to ponder the idea of Fred being gay- it struck me as so contrasted to the feelings I had been led to believe Fred felt for Holly. I was stunned and intrigued.

That being said, just because Fred isn’t attracted to Holly doesn’t mean he isn’t interested in women at all, and it would be offensive to think so. However, his behavior toward her (and lack of romantic/sexual desire, according to our narrator); his not mentioning any attraction toward women throughout the text; Holly’s strange behavior toward him that sets him apart from the other men in her life; and Fred’s only brief mentioning of attraction directed toward a man, I don’t believe that the idea should be immediately dismissed. Knowing Capote identified as homosexual, and that when asked, he “described the novel as…an emotional, or spiritual, autobiography, if not an actual literal one”,  it wouldn’t be far-fetched to discuss Fred’s own preferences and how that would change anything in the story. [1]

While I myself haven’t formulated a truly solid opinion concerning Fred’s sexuality even after all of this speculation, I actually appreciate the fact that it isn’t clearly stated in the text and is left questionable. It’s an interesting contrast to the rampant sexual nature of many of the other characters and the general stark honesty and openness concerning Holly and her own preferences. Fred’s inwardness is preferable to me personally because most people don’t really project that kind of information to others and rather choose to keep it to themselves, and Fred’s reality-grounded character in that sense is appealing to me.


[1] Real, Jure. "Truman Capote." Magill's Survey of American Literature. Ed. Steven G. Kellman. Revised Edition ed. 1 Vol. Salem Press Inc, 2006. 397-406. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment