Sunday, February 10, 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's Response - Katie Yook


Katie Yook

Truman Capote illustrates his characters so vividly that I almost feel like I know them personally.  At the beginning of Breakfast At Tiffany’s, Capote gives us background knowledge about the characters he introduces.  However, instead of giving us a superficial biography, he reveals deeper, frank qualities of each person.  For example, the first time he mentions Joe Bell, he describes him:  “Joe Bell hasn’t an easy nature… because he’s a bachelor and has a sour stomach.”  This kind of introduction would never happen in real life unless the person is extremely blunt, open, and honest, which I believe people should be more of.  I prefer these qualities to hollow small talk.
The character of Holly is unusual and quirky, yet also charming.  This makes me curious to learn about her more, and Capote successfully keeps me interested by revealing small aspects of Holly’s personal life.  I at once admire and sympathize for her, because underneath her confident, carefree façade is a sad, lonely girl.  Holly’s character is of someone you cannot truly understand, relate to, or know, yet we are so intrigued by her.  I think we all know people like this.  Holly is a great portrayal of this type of person, which is why she will last as a prominent cultural icon.
The narrator in the story reveals so much about himself in his thoughts. Through his interactions with Holly, I am able to understand Holly in contrast to the man’s personality.  He is grounded, self-controlled, and a good listener.  Holly on the other hand is ephemeral, naïve, and whimsical.
Capote’s language is direct and almost overly descriptive.  He gives us very subtle, minute details.  He describes the wall’s color as ‘tobacco spit.’  Also, I think it is really difficult to create dialogue that seems authentic because the author is only one person who is fabricating a conversation between multiple people.  However, not only do the conversations between the characters in his works seem very realistic, the varying the structure of the dialogue makes the dialogue less monotonous and forced, and more natural, like a real conversation.  This is something I would like to improve in my work.
I couldn’t help but be reminded of Amy’s piece that we workshopped on Thursday (Breaking Point).  The plot has similar aspects and the narrator of her story reminds me a lot of Holly Golightly.  I feel like Amy’s piece could be Breakfast at Tiffany’s from Holly’s point of view.
In House of Flowers, we recognize Capote’s witty, charming and blunt language.  However, in this story, I felt that I didn’t understand the characters and the ending was abrupt.

No comments:

Post a Comment