Sunday, February 3, 2013

Universal Empathy


Margaret Atwood’s “The Labrador Fiasco” was striking, primarily due to the uneasy, anxiety-ridden tone that stretched its way from beginning to end—an effect of Atwood’s literary style, tone and diction. The shift from the reality of her situation to the fictional tale that ties the family together resonated well in consideration of her father’s worsening forgetfulness; It made the reader feel disheveled and never completely settled, and I admire Atwood’s ability to make us feel a bit of her father’s illness and even to an extent, the tension between all the characters involved.  

The way in which, at the very beginning of the essay, Atwood effectively displays a long passing of time and pulls us along her timeline, is just as effective. “It’s October; but which October? One of those Octobers…it looks like [she’s] hunching. In reality that is just the shape she is now” (189). With these words, Atwood harps on a feeling we’ve all felt before- the feeling that time has gone by too quickly and we don’t exactly know where it went, in some cases even a desire to travel back in time and adjust something. That’s absolutely how I feel as a second-semester junior in college, and I think that a lot of students (and sequentially, other readers of this piece) would agree with me in how relative this is to our lives.

What really hit home for me was the way in which, by the last few pages of the piece, it was clear that her father wasn’t going to get any better, rather, he was going to get worse. At one point, she is talking to her mother about how her father has been (after having been gone for awhile), and her mother responds by saying that he needs to walk but doesn’t want to. On a personal level, this reminds me of some of the older relatives I have (I’m sure we all have at least one elderly relative) that have a hard time walking or doing things that I can do easily, or that I have seen them do years ago. What Atwood flawlessly did was place those who are close to my heart in the place of her father, and emotionally, that was an effective move for her to make. I instantly felt for her, and the downhearted tone by the end of the piece leaves us feeling a sense of foreboding and anxiety, undoubtedly her feelings exactly as she realizes her father doesn’t trust her and that things are going downhill.

Overall, “The Labrador Fiasco” is a story of time and of aging, and not only are those themes universally relatable, but with Atwood’s skillful diction, they’re also empathy-inducing. The way that she is always coming-and-going from the house and from her parent’s sight reminds me most of myself as well as other college students who live away from home. After being someplace new for so long, I return home to find that a lot of things in my family have changed, even if it’s just the dynamic between my parents or some new medication my mom has to take for cholesterol, for example. I believe that Atwood’s powerful and relatable theme and ability to mirror her own feelings in her readers during such a uneasy time in her life is what makes “The Labrador Fiasco” such a resounding piece.   

- Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment