Monday, April 15, 2013

Alex Dimitrov and Marie Howe Poetry Response


Jack Breene
April 4th – Alex Dimitrov and Marie Howe
Poetry Reading Response
            Of the two poets I heard read on April 4th, I preferred Alex Dimitrov. I thought his poems took interesting positions on what it meant to be alone and what it meant to be controlled. In his poem, “I’m Alone and I Love It” (that might not be the actual title) he discussed the luxuries that come with loneliness. While we crave adoration, he conceded that loneliness isn’t an emotionally exhausting experience.  It was as refreshing take on solitude, a theme anyone who reads NYU Secrets is no stranger to. Also in his poem “Kill your Boyfriends” Dimitrov questioned the legitimacy of sacrificing freedom to avoid loneliness.
            I also liked his first poem “This is not a poem” (again, might not be the actual title). In this poem Dimitrov made very a valid social commentary in his discussion of not applying oneself in order to look cool and save face. The poem repeats the sentence, “This is not a poem” to avoid to the embarrassment of failing to be a good poem. Towards the end, the poem tells of a boy who will only agree to like someone if they tell him they like him first. I think this is a phenomenon I see everyday and he suggests that this attitude is a precursor of loneliness. It’s our cowardice which forges our loneliness.
            I didn’t enjoy Marie Howe’s work as much. I thought her tales of idealized childhood lacked depth. They looked back at the past as a time without conflict or struggle in an illogical way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment