Sunday, April 21, 2013

Creative Response to Blue Colonial


Sea

Outer edges of creeping, salty foam
caress the hot sand of the shore
like the gentle hands of a lusty lover
roaming the flesh of her affection
knowing that mother ocean
would pull her own hands from the sand
only to urge them forward again,
reaching desperately for solace
from a life she could never abandon.
 The love the sea has for the shore
is model for the birds and the bees,
the rabbits, the trees, and me;
I want a love like that.
 She taught me patience and adversity,
reaching out so rhythmically
for the sacrilegious grains of sand
living for that fleeting moment
when she could meet the earth
and share a moment of passion.
 But most of all,
mother ocean makes clear
her love for father earth
is as welcoming to me
as it is to the fish that swim through her veins.
 The sea is my home
it yearns for me the same.

What inspired me about Blue Colonial as far as my own writing goes was the extensive use of nature and imagery and the impression that it is all relentless and powerful. I'm from Satellite Beach, Florida, and a big part of my life has always been the ocean being literally at the end of my street. All I had to do was cross a 4-lane main road and there it was, vast, loud, and very present. I enjoyed the way Blue Colonial engaged with the surroundings of the speaker(s), and I tried here to express that engagement and that importance to me through personification.




No comments:

Post a Comment