Monday, April 22, 2013

Lakay



Lakay is where the sky meets the ocean
Where the mountains embrace
Rather than intimidate
Protecting the poor that inhabit the island

It is where the groans of the majority
Somehow create a song
Much like a hum
Reminding us of our ancestors, the slaves

When I think about lakay
I see the sitadel
The bastiy
The fortresses that once stood tall and mighty

That now crumble under the weight
Of a nation torn by hate
Shattered by confusion
Misdirected by “help” of all those Others

But when I think only of lakay, sweet lakay
I see my mother’s Leyogan
My father’s Mol Sen Nikola
The heavy, sweating streets of my Pot-o-pwens

I see the wicker basket atop the machann’s head
The way she balances it
Without a supporting hand
Unknowingly exuding the attitude of Revolution

I hear the krik-krak of chain against chain
As we tried to break free
Set against the drums
The drums that the houngan’s men carry

Lakay still means a lot that I know nothing of
The sea shimmers with secrets
But perhaps in the past
I’ll find the rusted, bent keys to the future

Lakay se lakay.


Translations: (All italicized words are in Haitian Kreyol)
“Lakay” is the word for “home,” though etymologically meaning “the house.”
Sitadel: a famous Haitian citadel in Cap Haitian
Bastiy: a fortress of sorts in Mole St. Nicolas, on the northern tip of Haiti
Leyogan, Mol Sen Nikola, Pot-o-pwens: respectively Leogane, Mole St. Nicolas, Port-au-Prince; cities in Haiti
Machann: vendor, usually selling produce on the street or in a large open market
Krik-krak : here used as onomatopoeia, but also the title of a famous Haitian book
Houngan: voodoo priest
Lakay se lakay: "home is home," or "your house/home is your home"

No comments:

Post a Comment