Saturday, April 13, 2013

West 10


Last night, I attended the release party for West 10th, the creative writing program’s undergraduate literary journal. It was held at Lilian Vernon House, a welcoming house with a composed atmosphere.

I loved hearing my peers’ poetry. Because they were my fellow students, I felt more connected with their words. Even though the journal’s editor, Laura Stephenson, called the works of these young writers their “first wobbly and fantastic steps,” implying that they are undeveloped and anxious, yet fantastic. Sometimes the most creative and beautiful work can come from the expressive voices of young people, unhardened by years of academia and discipline. I’m always most impressed by self-taught artists because their creative works are more unrefined.

There’s something about hearing someone recite his or her own work. It provides the writing with its personal, expressive voice, exactly how it was meant to be heard. I noticed the unique nuances in every one’s voice. Everyone had a different pitch, accent, pace, and intensity. I also felt that being undergrad students, and not serious or professional writers, many readers had a very modest, delicate, and timid voice.

The event ended with readings by the poet Gerald Stern. Though I really enjoyed his work, I feel like there the program over-emphasized him. They introduced him as someone with more experience, and concluded the program with his recitation. However, he read around the same number of poems as the number of pieces the student readers read altogether. Gerald also used his eloquence to give a little introduction to each poem. I felt this took very long and I was beginning to get restless.

No comments:

Post a Comment