Sunday, April 21, 2013

Home


I learned how to shoot a gun before I learned how to color outside the lines.
That’s not a good example: I’m still learning.

I learned to look to inanimate objects for guidance:
Mountains are west
The river runs north
Tell me, sister tree, where are we going?

I learned how not to sing along to the radio
if the person in the passenger seat is a musician.
Unless it’s Hey Jude.
Or Dear Chicago.
In which case your voice can be forgiven
But not knowing the words can’t.

I learned that when you’re on a mountain when the sun rises there is no excuse for sleeping through it
Picking your way,
my way,
our way
up the trail winding around until trees fall away and nothing stands between us and the frozen light
except a small slice of oxygen that leaves us hungry for more
and seven layers of non-cotton

I learned that salmon flies hatch
At the time when the light is no longer frozen
But isn’t quite oppressive
And that if you sit still enough they form the only layer you need

I learned not to run when I see a black bear
Stop
Listen to her shuffle
Watch her
Learn to live

I learned that we are all just stonefly larva
Picking up pretty rocks
Lending them saliva
And pulling a mosaic around ourselves

No comments:

Post a Comment